Monday, August 14, 2017

Bead Embroidered Barrette

A quick barrette in between projects. This barrette is 4 inches which is ideal for thick hair.  I designed the center to resemble mosaic glass and used 15/0 seed beads. I will admit it was tedious work!


The ends were patterned with 11/0 seed beads around the silver bird and butterfly beads I purchased from A.C. Moore. These beads had center holes and I was happy that they laid fairly flat in the design.  


The backing is ultra suede. A technique I use to give the backside a finished look is to cut small slits at each end and then slip in the barrette ends. I figure where to position the slits by bending the beaded foundation against the barrette and marking the slits about an 1/8 inch back.


A helpful hint I can share is to glue (I use E6000) down the ultra suede up to the slits. Put some pressure all around the area with your thumbs and let it dry for 30 minutes. Slip in the barrette ends into the slits and apply a generous amount of glue. Be careful not to put too much that it soaks the suede leaving glue marks.  Use small clamping paper clips to hold the ends down while they dry for about 30 minutes. Remove the clips and let the whole piece dry overnight before starting the edging.

Happy beading!





No comments:

Post a Comment